The Library and its staff are committed to providing a safe and comfortable environment for all library patrons. In order to accomplish this goal, the Board of Trustees has established a Patron Responsibility Policy. The purpose of which is to:
- Protect the rights and safety of patrons and staff
- Safeguard the building, equipment, furniture, and collection
- Maintain an atmosphere that promotes the use and enjoyment of the library’s resources, services, and programs
The Library director, or her/his designee, is authorized to remove and or exclude individuals who engage in any behavior that interferes with the proper and established functioning of a public library or threatens the safety and or welfare of others. Depending on the seriousness of the offense, some or all library privileges may be suspended or terminated, or the individual may be permanently banned from the Library.
The following actions or activities are expressly forbidden and may lead to arrest and prosecution:
- Viewing and or displaying of inappropriate images via the library’s public-access computers or patron’s own devices.
- Physical abuse, assault, or using profane, abusive or threatening language.
- Disorderly conduct.
- Theft, defacement, or mutilation of library materials or property.
- Refusal to leave the Library when ordered to do so by authorized library staff.
The following rules/guidelines are also in effect:
- Electronic devices must be set to silent or vibrating mode. Patrons may use the front entry hall to make or take a call.
- Loitering on the library grounds is not permitted.
- Use of skateboards or rollerblades is not permitted on any library property.
- Shirts and shoes must be worn in the Library at all times.
- Disruptive behavior such as loud talking, shouting, or the playing of music, is not permitted.
- The Library is not responsible for the loss of any personal items or information.
- Smoking, sleeping, consumption of alcoholic beverages, use of non-prescription drugs, soliciting and placement of feet on furniture are not permitted.
- Eating is not permitted in the Library; drinks in covered containers are allowed. All trash must be properly disposed by the patron. If there is any damage done to library property, the full cost of repair is the patron’s responsibility.
- Animals, with the exception of service animals and approved therapy animals, may not be brought in to the Library.
- See also Unattended Children Policy.
- Rules in regard to eating or consumption of alcohol do not apply to library sanctioned programs or events.
Any person removed, or excluded from library privileges, on the basis of his/her behavior or an infraction of library rules (or, in the case of a minor child, the parent or legal guardian of said child) may request a meeting with the Library director to discuss the situation and to request reinstatement of library privileges. Determination of reinstatement will be made as quickly as possible following said meeting, and the person involved will be notified in writing of such decision.
Incidents involving permanent removal will be reported to and reviewed by the Library Board of Trustees.