Jane Eriksen, Chairman
Mary Ryan, Vice Chairman
Anne Mueller, Treasurer
Shari Adams, Recording Secretary
R. David Turley
Meetings: Second Tuesday of every month at 7:30
2014 Meeting Dates
Board Minutes: Current month’s minutes have not been approved:
Durham Public Library Board of Trustees
October 14, 2014
Meeting called to order at 7:35 pm.
Present: Jane Eriksen, David Turley, Shari Adams, Bob Booz, Anne Mueller, Lynn Johnson, Rosemarie Naples, Amy Bloom, Kary Strickland, Trish Connolly, Cyndi Shirshac, Laura Francis. Absent: Mary Ryan
- I. Public Comments/Communications
No public comments.
- II. Strategic Plan Presentation
Jane Eriksen welcomed and introduced First Selectwoman, Laura Francis. Jane also welcomed new board member Kary Strickland. Shari Adams presented the strategic plan. Laura Francis thanked the Library Board of Trustees for their work on behalf of the residents of Durham and left the meeting at 8:15 pm.
- III. Minutes
Lynn Johnson made a motion to accept minutes as amended (change Medicaid to Medicare). David Turley seconded. Minutes accepted. Rosemarie Naples abstained.
- IV. Financial Reports
There was no formal treasurer’s report. However, Anne Mueller noted that the state grant was spent over the summer for book purchases.
Trish Connolly presented the Director’s financial report.
- V. Librarians’ Reports
Trish Connolly presented the staff reports.
- Statistics look good this month. Children’s circulation is up.
- Constant contact has been ordered and will be up and running by the end of the month.
- We will not be participating in the Fall Festival due to lack of staff availability to cover the event.
Cyndi Shirshac presented a proposal for the Summer Reading Program 2015. The staff proposes challenging all residents of Durham to have library cards. This will require the library to work with other community groups and to spearhead a campaign that challenges the community to read. The staff is very enthusiastic about this idea and the Board voiced its support. The librarians will be presenting more detailed plans next month.
- VI. Committee Reports
- PALS: October is the PALS membership drive.
- Garden Committee: Lynn Johnson is working on a garden maintenance budget as well as the purchasing and planting of a replacement tree in the front of the library.
- Maintenance: On September 23, 2014, Trish Connolly, David Turley and Jane Eriksen met with Dick McManus to discuss maintenance issues. Mr. McManus agreed that by the end of October there would be positive action taken on power washing and tree trimming. In addition, Mr. McManus indicated that the roof on the 1984 building would be repaired in 2015-2016.
- Strategic Plan: Jane Eriksen addressed completing tactics assigned to the board in the tactical plan. She asked that all board members review the materials she handed out at the September board meeting and provide written comments at the November meeting. The strategic planning committee will then meet to draft documents for the Board’s approval. Shari Adams presented the quarterly strategic plan status report.
- VII. Old Business
- Board elections will be held in November. Shari Adams will present the slate of officers.
- Other –The November Board of Trustees meeting has been rescheduled for Wednesday, November 12, 2014. All board members were asked to sign up for a shift at the library on November 1 to provide coverage for Karen Gardiner’s wedding.
V. New Business
A. Jane Eriksen thanked Amy Bloom for serving on the Board. Amy’s contributions and expertise greatly enhanced the library. She will be missed.
Adjourned 9:05 p.m.
Shari Adams, Secretary