R. David Turley, Chairman
Anne Mueller, Vice Chairman
Shari Adams, Treasurer
Robert Booz, Recording Secretary
Jane Eriksen, Chairman Emeritus
Meetings: Second Tuesday of every month at 7:30 pm
2015 Meeting Dates
Board Minutes: Current month’s minutes have not been approved:
Durham Public Library Board of Trustees
October 13, 2015
Meeting called to order at 7:32 pm.
Present: Shari Adams, Bob Booz, David Foster, Lynn Johnson, Anne Mueller, Mary Ryan, Kary Strickland, David Turley and Trish Connolly. Absent: Jane Eriksen
- Public Comments/Communications – There were no public communications. The newest Board member, David Foster, was welcomed to the Board
- Minutes from Meeting of September 8 , 2015 – Lynn Johnson moved to accept the minutes, seconded by Anne Mueller. Minutes accepted unanimously.
- Financial Reports –
- Board – Shari Adams presented the report identifying the status of Board funds.
- Librarian – No concerns were noted in the budget to actual expenditures to date.
- IV. Librarians’ Reports
- Director – The circulation metrics are of continuing concern. The Director and staff are preparing a detailed analysis of the statistics over a five year period to gain a greater understanding of trends and possible actions. Program successes were noted, especially the tai chi sessions which are oversubscribed. There is an initiative to improve the maintenance of the Library website. The Director is looking for possible solutions.
- Youth Services – The use of the activity room as a Teen Lounge is continuing. Existing seating has been added by taking stuffed chairs from other parts of the Library. The Director noted that this has provided containment and that she is gathering data from this experiment.
- Committee Reports
- PALS – There was no report from PALS.
- Maintenance – The roof has been replaced, however, the damaged soffit was not repaired or replaced. The new roof installed over the hidden gutter resulting in no new gutter. As was noted from other meetings, the plan was for Mr McManus, Town Facilities Director, to power wash the soffit to determine if it would hold up before roofing was completed. The Board discussed the liability concerns of the roof over of the soffit damage and the lack of a gutter. A letter will be prepared for the Board to send to the Town expressing our concerns.
- Strategic Planning – Shari Adams discussed the need to continue to refresh the Strategic Plan noting areas of accomplishment and continuing need. A committee meeting will be held in the near future.
- VI. New Business
- Nominating Committee – Library officers must be confirmed and voted on in our November meeting. Kary Strickland and Jane Ericson were proposed as the nominating committee.
- HPL Seminar – Report Out – The sessions attended by Board members were very instructional to make Board actions more effective.
- Personnel Update – A motion was made by Robert Booz and seconded by Mary Ryan to move into Executive Session to discuss a personnel matter. The Board moved into Executive Session at 8:32 p.m. It moved back into regular session at 9:02 p.m.
- VII. Old Business – None noted
Adjourned 9:05 p.m.
Robert Booz, Secretary