Jane Eriksen, Chairman
Mary Ryan, Vice Chairman
Anne Mueller, Treasurer
Shari Adams, Recording Secretary
R. David Turley
Meetings: Second Tuesday of every month at 7:30
2014 Meeting Dates
Board Minutes: Current month’s minutes have not been approved:
Durham Public Library Board of Trustees
November 12, 2014
Meeting called to order at 7:30 pm.
Present: Jane Eriksen, David Turley, Shari Adams, Bob Booz, Anne Mueller, Lynn Johnson, Mary Ryan, Trish Connolly, and Francis Willett. Absent: Rosemarie Naples, Kary Strickland
- I. Public Comments/Communications
No correspondence. Jane Eriksen welcomed Francis Willett who presented a beautiful watercolor painting of the Library in memory of his mother, Dorothy Willett. Jane praised Dorothy for her numerous contributions to the Library during her life time. The Board expressed thanks to the Willett Family for the lovely gift.
- II. Minutes
David Turley moved to accept the minutes. Seconded by Bob Booz. Minutes accepted. Mary Ryan abstained.
- III. Financial Reports
Anne Mueller gave the Treasurer’s report. Trish Connolly presented the Director’s financial report.
- IV. Librarians’ Reports
Trish Connolly presented the staff reports.
- Teen services and statistics report will be emailed to the board when Karen Gardiner returns from her honeymoon.
- Trish Connolly requested that the Board approve the purchase of a projector with an HDMI connection. David Turley moved to replace the projector and that the purchase be paid for out of the office supply line item. Anne Mueller seconded. Motion passed.
- Trish Connolly asked for clarification of the current meeting room policy. The board directed Trish to revise the policy based on Board discussion and present to the board for approval at the December Board meeting.
- The board considered an amendment to the current library card policy submitted by Children’s Librarian, Christine Michaud. Bob Booz moved to accept the policy as amended. Remove “There is no age requirement for a child to apply” and replace with “juvenile cards will be issued to children 5 years and older.” Motion seconded by David Turley. Motion passed.
- Information regarding planning for the summer reading blowout will be shared with the Board via emails in the coming weeks.
- V. Committee Reports
- PALS: Restaurant solicitation for Taste of Durham has begun.
- Garden Committee: Lynn Johnson is working on the purchasing and planting of a replacement tree in the front of the library to be completed this spring.
- Maintenance: Dick McManus indicated that the roof will be addressed in the spring. Trish will contact Dick regarding power washing, removal of vegetation and the rotting soffit. Dick requested a meeting with Trish regarding the interior maintenance projects. David Turley and Mary Ryan will attend this meeting with Trish.
- Strategic Plan: Trustee input on board development material provided by Jane Eriksen was tabled for now.
- VI. Old Business
- Shari Adams presented the slate of officers:
President David Turley
Vice-President – Anne Mueller
Treasurer Shari Adams
Secretary – Bob Booz
President Emeritus – Jane Eriksen
PALS Liaison Mary Ryan
Shari Adams moved to accept the slate of officers as presented. Motion accepted.
- Other – Bylaws need to be revised in the near future.
V. New Business
A. Budget 2015-2016: Trish Connolly will be presenting a draft budget for FY 2015 – 2016 at the December meeting.
B. Director’s 2014 Goals Report: Trish Connolly discussed the goals she set in February 2014 and her progress. The board briefly discussed a process for the formal evaluation of the Director.
Adjourned 9:15 p.m.
Shari Adams, Secretary