R. David Turley, Chairman
Anne Mueller, Vice Chairman
Shari Adams, Treasurer
Robert Booz, Recording Secretary
Jane Eriksen, Chairman Emeritus
Meetings: Second Tuesday of every month at 7:30 pm
2016 Meeting Dates
Board Minutes: Current month’s minutes have not been approved:
DURHAM PUBLIC LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES
March 8, 2016
Meeting called to order at 7:30 pm.
Present: Shari Adams, Bob Booz, Jane Eriksen, Lynn Johnson, Anne Mueller, Mary Ryan, Kary Strickland, David Turley and Trish Connolly. Not Present: David Foster
- Public Comments/Communications – The Association of Connecticut Libraries membership statement was received. Jane Eriksen moves and Anne Mueller seconded a motion to renew the Library’s membership in the Association.
- Minutes – February 9, 2016 – Anne Mueller moved and Lynn Johnson seconded the acceptance of the minutes. The motion passed with Jane Eriksen abstaining.
- Financial Reports
- Board – Book purchases from the C-Car funds are being made appropriate to the funding source.
- Librarian – Nothing extraordinary was noted although the periodicals budget has been spent to zero.
- Librarians’ Reports
- Director – PALS is funding more adult programs on behalf of the patrons of the Library. This is greatly appreciated. The Director was informed by Town Hall that Connecticut OSHA has inspected the building and found a number of items noted. This includes asbestos and access to the basement has been restricted. A full report has not been received. Accordingly, it was moved by Bob Booz and seconded by Shari Adams: The Library Board requests a copy of the full CT OSHA report with the compliance and remediation plans and steps taken to date. The Board also would like to hear more from the Town regarding the issues at our April meeting.
- Youth Services – The Youth Services area of the Library continues to thrive.
- Committee Reports
- PALS – The Taste of Durham was a success and better than recent years. The Book Sale is scheduled for May. The Director has notified outside groups using Library meeting rooms that the rooms will not be available in May due to the sale.
- Maintenance – No new items were noted other than the concerns already documented plus the concerns about the Connecticut OSHA report.
- Strategic Planning
- Trustee Job Description – There was a brief discussion about the description with one minor wording change requested.
- Board/Director responsibilities – This document was discussed. As with the Trustee Job Description, these documents are guidance for the Director and Board members to ensure a smooth working relationship. Bob Booz moved and Jane Eriksen seconded a motion to accept the Trustee Job Description and Board/Director responsibilities documents.
- New Business
- Clean Energy Task Force – A charging station request was received by the Board chair and discussed. Bob Booz moved and Anne Mueller Seconded a motion The Board amends our prior approval of a vehicle charging station to one to be located on Town property on the north side of the oil tank. The placement and operation of the vehicle charging station must be revenue and expense neutral to the Library.
- Albin Dog Wash June 5 – This use of the Library grounds was discussed and approved by the Board.
- Old Business
- Budget Presentation – There was discussion about the meeting with the Board of Finance to present our budget. A number of questions were asked by the Board of Finance about specific line items of the budget.
Adjourned 9:05 p.m.
Robert Booz, Secretary