R. David Turley, Chairman
Anne Mueller, Vice Chairman
Shari Adams, Treasurer
Robert Booz, Recording Secretary
Jane Eriksen, Chairman Emeritus
Meetings: Second Tuesday of every month at 7:30
2015 Meeting Dates
Board Minutes: Current month’s minutes have not been approved:
Durham Public Library Board of Trustees
March 10, 2015
Meeting called to order at 7:34 pm.
Present: Shari Adams, Bob Booz, Jane Eriksen, Lynn Johnson, Anne Mueller, Mary Ryan, David Turley, Kary Strickland and Trish Connolly. Absent: Rosemarie Naples,
- Public Comments/Communications
There was no correspondence or public comment.
- Minutes from Meeting of February 10 , 2015
No changes to the minutes were noted. Jane Eriksen moved to accept the minutes. Seconded by Mary Ryan. Minutes accepted with changes noted. Anne Mueller and Lynn Johnson abstained.
- Financial Reports
Trish Connolly presented the Director’s financial report. Questions were raised about the telephone line item. The Town recognizes the issue with approved budget allocation versus expense allocation related to the Town instituting a town wide telephone system replacement. Adjustments are expected in current and future budgets.
- IV. Librarians’ Reports
Trish Connolly presented highlights from the Directors Report.
- Summer Reading Update – Trish noted changes to the Summer Reading Program planning. A proposed budget was presented. Not all line items are known pending figures from the town. Bob Booz proposed and Shari Adams seconded a motion: “Approve up to but not exceed $2,650 from the Unrestricted Gifts Memorials Fund to support the Summer Reading Program”. The motion passed unanimously. Also noted in the discussion was that the summer Reading Program will not be directly supported by the Library budget, therefore, no tax money will be used for the program
- Director – Circulation was discussed
- Youth Services, – The afternoon crowd of middle school students continues. The temporarily established a teen lounge in the Activity Room appears to be working, albeit with daily supervision. Some damage to the tables has occurred.
- Committee Reports
- PALS: The annual Taste of Durham exceeded the 2014 attendance. It was noted that the 2016 event will be its 20th year.
- The roof leaks continue due to failure of the membrane used on the 1996 addition. Questions were raised about the scope of the re-roofing planned for June. The extent of the work will be confirmed with special attention to the section that has continued to fail.
- Reupholstery of the chairs was discussed as the less expensive option to their replacement.
- VI. New Business
- State Budget Impacts – Proposed budget changes will have serious impacts on Library operations, especially Interlibrary Loan service and C-Car. The Board recommended an advisory note in ILL books noting the service is in jeopardy.
- ACLB Membership – The consensus of the Board is to renew membership from account 5005-152 as a necessary association due.
VII – Old Business
- Electronic Files/Website Updates/Board Web Page – Trish presented an estimate of cost to develop the capability. She will be looking a less expensive options.
- Library Director Evaluation – Jane Eriksen moved and Anne Mueller seconded a motion to move into Executive Session for Personnel Matters at 8:36p.m. and came back into regular session and 9:20p.m.
Adjourned 9:21 p.m.
Robert Booz, Secretary