Jane Eriksen, Chairman
Mary Ryan, Vice Chairman
Anne Mueller, Treasurer
Shari Adams, Recording Secretary
R. David Turley
Meetings: Second Tuesday of every month at 7:30
2014 Meeting Dates
Board Minutes: Current month’s minutes have not been approved:
Durham Public Library Board of Trustees
September 9, 2014
Meeting called to order at 7:38 pm.
Present: Jane Eriksen, David Turley, Shari Adams, Bob Booz, Anne Mueller, Lynn Johnson, Trish Connolly. Absent: Rosemarie Naples, Mary Ryan
I. Public Comments/Communications
No public comments.
Lynn Johnson requested that the spelling of her name be corrected. Lynn Johnson made a motion to accept minutes with correction. David Turley seconded. Minutes accepted.
III. Financial Reports
Anne Mueller gave the board financial report. There was a brief discussion regarding the gift fund.
Trish Connolly reported that she worked with Mary Jane Malavasi and the Town Auditor last week. In addition, Trish has been working collaboratively with Mary Jane to track library expenditures.
IV. Librarians’ Reports
Trish Connolly presented the staff reports.
- There was an increase in program attendance over the summer. Medicaid Basics Program was well attended.
- There was an issue with the gate counter. Trish has addressed this and is correcting our statistics.
- Download of ebooks and audiobooks has been increasing.
- At the LION Board meeting, the consortium voted to take $50,000 from reserves to purchase additional electronic resources.
- The LION consortium also voted to maintain Zinio.
- Guidelines and rules were set for afterschool use of the library by teens. A letter communicating this was sent to parents of Strong School students with the support of Strong School Principal, Scott Sadinsky.
- Last week there were 37 teens in the library on Thursday afternoon.
- Trish will work with the building committee to develop several space options to accommodate the large afterschool groups.
- Trish reported that she will be working in conjunction with Town officials to move along needed capital improvements.
- Basic computer classes for adults will be offered in the fall. A second round of classes will be held in the spring.
- Trish is completing a grant proposal to the Middlesex Community Foundation to support computer education through 2016.
V. Committee Reports
- PALS: Garden Party was a success. October is the PALS membership drive.
- Garden Committee: Lynn Johnson is working on a garden maintenance budget.
- Maintenance: There was a brief discussion about a soffit that needs repair. Jane Eriksen is investigating options and costs for reupholstering 6 reading chairs.
- Strategic Plan: Shari Adams will be presenting the strategic plan to PALS at their September meeting. Shari will be meeting with Trish next week to work on an annual plan.
VI. Old Business
- Nominating Committee: The Nominating Committee recommended that Kary Strickland be nominated to fill the anticipated board opening.
- Other –None.
V. New Business
A. Town Meeting – Terms ending include Jane Eriksen, Shari Adams and Amy Bloom. It was recommended that Kary Strickland be nominated to replace Amy.
B. Other: Karen Gardiner’s wedding is planned for November 1st. Board members volunteered to assist with coverage that day.
Adjourned 9:00 p.m.
Shari Adams, Secretary