Jane Eriksen, Chairman
Mary Ryan, Vice Chairman
Anne Mueller, Treasurer
Shari Adams, Recording Secretary
R. David Turley
Meetings: Second Tuesday of every month at 7:30
2014 Meeting Dates
Board Minutes: Current month’s minutes have not been approved:
Durham Public Library Board of Trustees
July 8, 2014
Meeting called to order at 7:38 pm.
Present: Rosemarie Naples, Jane Eriksen, David Turley, Shari Adams, Lynne Johnson, Mary Ryan, Trish Connolly. Absent: Robert Booz, Amy Bloom, Anne Mueller
Jane Eriksen moved to amend the agenda under item V. Committee Reports to include the strategic plan update. Lynne Johnson seconds. Motion passes unanimously.
- I. Public Comments/Communications
No public comments.
- II. Minutes
David Turley made a motion to accept minutes as presented. Rosemarie Naples seconded. Minutes accepted.
- III. Financial Reports
Board financial report was not given due to absence of Treasurer.
There was a discussion of protocol for managing cash in the library. The Director was charged to develop a protocol for board review and approval.
The Director presented a one page summary of financial processes provided by the auditor. Several factual modifications were suggested. Trish Connolly and Jane Eriksen will revise the document.
- IV. Librarians’ Reports
Trish Connolly presented the staff reports.
- Statistics looked very good this month.
- 112 children and adults attended the summer reading kickoff program.
- Talk by Marvin Beloff, local author of William Kent: The Story of My Friendship with Master Sculptor drew 47 attendees.
- Two adult programs are scheduled for July – Author Sydney Sherman and Laughter Yoga with Laura Le.
Shari Adams requested that the Director provide the board with the director’s, librarians’ and financial reports prior to the board meeting each month.
- V. Committee Reports
- PALS: Garden Party is set for August 22nd.
- Maintenance: Mary Ryan reported that there is additional damage since her last inspection of the building, specifically dry rot. The Board encouraged Trish Connolly to meet with Laura Francis and Dick McManus to discuss ongoing maintenance issues that have been previous brought to the Town’s attention.
- Strategic Plan: Shari Adams reported that she presented the strategic plan to the library staff. In an effort to increase board knowledge of library services and challenges, librarians will be invited to attend a board meeting and present annually to the board on a topic of their choice. Shari Adams will be presenting the strategic plan to PALS at their next meeting.
- VI. Old Business
- Nominating Committee Results: Shari Adams presented the results of the nominating committee’s discussions with current board members. A formal slate of officers will be presented in the fall.
- Other – None.
V. New Business
A. Suggestions: Future Board members: There was a brief discussion regarding the identification of new board members for the Library Board.
B. Other: There was a question as to whether Library Board of Trustee Meeting minutes should be posted on the Town website prior to Board approval. Mary Ryan will look at the state statute to determine filing requirements.
David Turley moved to cancel the August Board of Trustee meeting. Mary seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
Adjourned 9:15 p.m.
Shari Adams, Secretary