The James Hinman, Jr. House is set back off the south side of Wallingford Road on a small wooded lot at the intersection of Maple Avenue. The surrounding residential
neighborhood is made up of eighteenth-, nineteenth-, and twentieth-century domestic structures.
- Record ID: 182
- Address: Wallingford Road
- Current Owner: Lewis, Richard D. and Virginia R.
- Name of Building:
- Historic Name: James Hinman, Jr. House
- Download PDF of Original Record
The facade features a central entry door topped with a modern, aluminum door hood. The entrance is flanked by a twelve-over-twelve sash on the east and a small, diamond-paned window on the west. A 1 story, 1 bay, gable-to-street garage has been added to the easternmost portion of the facade. The exposed basement on the western elevation is clapboarded and the original twelve-over-twelve sash are featured throughout the house .
Historical or Architectural Importance
The James Hinman, Jr. House is a 3 bay, 1 1/2 story, nineteenth-century Domestic-style building erected ca. 1835. Built into the side of a hill, the basement is fully exposed
on the west elevation. Resting on a brownstone foundation, the clapboarded post-and-beam frame is topped with a ridge-to-street gable roof.
In 1832 James Hinman, Jr. (1795-1857) bought the northwest corner of Timothy W. Baldwin’s home lot on which he erected this building. Hinman, a “mechanic,” willed the
property to his wife Eunice Hinman in 1857. In 1871 Edwin J. Black of Stanhope, New Jersey, and his wife Maria Merwin Black purchased the property and resided there until 1875. The next owner was Daniel Southmayd (1816-1884), a farmer, married to Tamson Hickox. In 1884 Delbert A. Blinn (b. 1844 ), a carpenter, purchased the “quarter acre with house, near the Quarry District SchoolHouse,” and resided here with his wife Susan Hitchcock of Meriden until 1905.
Significant for its association with the Hinman family, this early nineteenth~century Domestic-style building contributes to the character of Durham’s Historic