Talcott Lane, north side
Located on the north side of Talcott Lane at the intersection of Maple Avenue in Durham’s Historic District is the Moore House.
- Record ID: 175
- Address: Talcott Lane, north side
- Current Owner: Seeton, Leland and Eleanor
- Name of Building:
- Historic Name: Reynold Marvin Moore House
- Download PDF of Original Record
The facade entrance features a six panelled door with the top two panels replaced with glass. The doorway is flanked by four paned sidelights and topped with a simple cornice. The large, stone center chimney is modern. Modern additions include a northeast ell connected to a 1 bay garage. A small modern shed is located to the north of the house .
Historical or Architectural Importance
Reynold Marvin Moore erected this house, ca. 1755 on land he received from Jesse Austin and Miles Merwin. Although little is known about Moore, we do know he was married to Mary Robinson, granddaughter of David Robinson, one of Durham’s first settlers. In 1758, Amos Hubbard of Haddam purchased the half acre with dwelling house and coopers shop. Hubbard (1724-1767) served as Durham’s town physician from 1755 to 1767. Upon his death in 1767, his wife, Mary Bristol Hubbard, inherited half the house; the remainder was left to his eleven sisters and brothers of Haddam. In 1778, Mary Bristol Hubbard Camp sold her portion of her husband’s estate to Asa Chamberlin. Chamberlin sold his “half an acre with half dwelling house ” (DLR 9:274) to Beriah Chittenden, who directly sold the property to Asher Coe (b 1757). Coe in 1794 purchased the other half of the property from the heirs of Amos Hubbard. During the War of Independence, Coe served under General Erastus Wolcott in Peekskill, New York. After Coe sold the property in 1798, it passed through a number of owners until Jesse Smith (1775 -1854) purchased the house in 1814. Smith, a mechanic, sold the house to his son, David(1807-1865), a painter, in 1852. The heirs of David Smith sold the house out of the Smith family in the early 20th century.
The Reynold Marvin Moore House is notable for its association with many of Durham’s early prominent citizens and as an integral part of Durhamls Historic District.