Stage Coach Road, south side
Built atop a small rise on a triangular lot, the Frederick T. Elliot House is bordered by Coe, Old Farms and Stage Coach roads. Heavy residential development is occurring to the south and west of the property in an area once actively farmed.
- Record ID: 174
- Address: Stage Coach Road, south side
- Current Owner: Coe, Nellie S.
- Name of Building:
- Historic Name: Frederick T. Elliot House
- Download PDF of Original Record
The most dominant feature on the four-bay facade is the full- length, shed roofed veranda with lath-turned columns and aluminum-sided balustrade. Greek Revival-style characteristics include the heavy cornice returns and rectangular windows in the gable ends. Two small additions have been added to the western elevation and a 1 1/2 story ell with an open porch has been annexed to the south elevation.
Historical or Architectural Importance
Prominently sited along the south side of Stagecoach Road, this 2 1/2 story, four-bay, Greek Revival-style farmhouse was built in 1860. Supported by a stuccoed stone foundation, the aluminum-sided balloon frame is capped by a ridge-to-street, asphalt-shingled gable roof.
Frederick T. Elliot erected this structure in 1860, replacing an earlier house he had purchased in 1835. Elliot was born in 1813 to William R. Elliot of Northford. A farmer,
Frederick and his wife Anna raised three daughters: Harriet, Sarah, and Evelina. For many years he served as surveyor of highways in the southwest district and as justice
of the peace. Other elected positions included town representative and fence viewer. In 1889 the heirs of Elliot quit-claimed the property to his daughter, Sarah C. Cae,
and her husband, Frederick Jewett Coe, a traveling salesman. The house was sold out of the family in 1892.
Architecturally the Frederick T. Elliot House is significant as a well-preserved example of a Greek Revival-style farmhouse, and historically notable for its association to the Elliot family.