south east corner Main Street and Haddam Quarter Road

This structure stands close to Main Street and Haddam Quarter Road. It is surrounded by asphalt parking areas and modern commercial structures.

  • Record ID: 47
  • Address: south east corner Main Street and Haddam Quarter Road
  • Current Owner: Arrigoni, Charles J. and Thomas J.
  • Name of Building: A & A Liquors
  • Historic Name: North School House
  • Download PDF of Original Record

Notable Features

The core of this composite structure is a small 39′ X 26′ , 1 1/2 story schoolhouse.

Historical or Architectural Importance

The core of this composite structure structure is a small 39′ X 26′ , 1 1/2 story schoolhouse framed with post and beam elements and sheathed with shingles. Its gable end faces Haddam Quarted Road. In 1950, a 2 story gable roof apartment was added. Measuring 21′ X 30′, this addition is a ballon-frame structure sheathed with wood shingles. In the year 1965, a 15′ x 23′ brick addition was made to the west end of the main block. This structure is notable for its irregularity, its roof lines are assymetrical and varied, its fenestration ranging from modern commercial plate glass display windows through 1x1s and 6x6s. The interior of the structure has been completely altered to contemporary purposes. Originally standing on a triangular piece of land in the middle of the intersection of Main Street and Haddam Quarter Road, a schoolhouse has stood on this property since 1737. The first school house was burned in 1751 and rebuilt. But gaps in the town records make it impossible to say with any certainty whether the present structure dates from the mid-eighteenth century. With the consolidation of the town’s school districts in 1891, the North End Schoolhouse was sold to Henry Davis, who used it as a residence until 1948, when it passed to its present owners.The North End Schoolhouse was an important center for the residents of the Haddam Quarter. Not only were their children educated there, many young men and women, particularly members¬† Note: The second page of this record is missing.