Parmelee Hill Road, north side
Set on a partially shaded level lot the Isaac Parmelee House is surrounded by open fields in a rapidly developing residential neighborhood.
- Record ID: 162
- Address: Parmelee Hill Road, north side
- Current Owner: Caltabiano, Anthony and Yale
- Name of Building:
- Historic Name: Isaac Parmelee House
- Download PDF of Original Record
The most prominent Greek Revival-style feature is the four-panel entrance door flanked by massive pilasters which rise into a heavy entablature. The facade gable end features broad overhanging eaves and a decoratively mullioned rectangular window. An integral 1 1/2 story ell on the west elevation features three two-over-two paned, second story "eyebrow" windows. Original six-over-six sash are featured throughout the rest of the house. Outbuildings on the property include a large gambrel-roofed barn, a shed and a chicken coop.
Historical or Architectural Importance
Facing south onto Parmelee Hill Road, this 2 1/2 story, three-bay, Greek-Revival-style building was erected by Isaac Parmelee ca. 1850. Supported by a sandstone foundation, the clapboarded, post-and-beam frame is topped with an asphalt-shingled, gable-to street roof. The early land records concerning this house are unclear. It is most probable that Isaac Parmelee erected this dwelling house between 1841 and 1853 when according to tax records, his house value jumped from $550 to $1200. Isaac (1800-1878), the son of Joel and Esther (Hall) Parmelee, was a direct descendant of Joel Parmelee, an original proprietor of Durham. A deacon of the Center Congregational Church for many years, Isaac married his cousin Eliza Cooley (1808-1875) of New Durham, New York. Parmelee, a successful farmer, was elected a Selectman in 1849 and served as a town representative in 1865. In 1866 the property was purchased by Joseph A. Rogers of Hamden. German immigrants Albert Eick and his son Carl bought the house in 1886 and continued to operate a successful farm. Today the property is still active as a dairy farm. Historically significant for its association with the Parmelee family, the Isaac Parmelee House continues to provide a link to the areals agricultural heritage.