Mica Hill Road, southeast side
Facing northwest onto Mica Hill Road, the Harvey Hull House is sited on a wooded lot surrounded by open fields.
- Record ID: 145
- Address: Mica Hill Road, southeast side
- Current Owner: Gulielmetti, George L.
- Name of Building:
- Historic Name: Harvey Hull House
- Download PDF of Original Record
A plain trim doorway with a thin projecting cornice is placed slightly south of the facade center. A notable feature is the irregular placement of the facade entrance door which indicates that this is apparently not a balloon-frame structure. Four six-over-six windows are placed symmetrically on the facade. The gable end exhibits a square, six-paned sash. Additions include a single-story, gable-roofed ell to the rear and a single-story, shed-roofed ell on the west elevation. Multiple outbuildings include two barns, an ice house and milk house. A small, man-made pond is located to the northeast of the main house.
Historical or Architectural Importance
Built in 1860, this 2 1/2 story, gable-to-street, mid-nineteenth-century domestic style farmhouse is set on Mica Hill as it rises to the south. Topped with an asphalt-shingled
roof, the clapboarded post-and-beam frame rests on a coursed sandstone foundation.
In March of 1860 Harvey Hull mortgaged to Stephen Lane “a certain tract of land in the south part of Durham with barn and on which I am about to erect a dwelling house”
(DLR 25:207). According to tax records, Hull’s house value jumped from $100 in 1859 to $400 in 1861, indicating he built the house during the summer of 1860. Hull
(1805-1882), the son of Eliakim and Hannah Hull,was a farmer. He and his wife Susan (Cone, 1815-1899) had two sons, Timothy E. (1844-1904) and James P. (1848-1921).
Upon Susan Hull’s death in 1899 the Hull sons, both farmers, inherited the property. In 1914 they sold the farm and it passed through a succession of owners until Italian
immigrants, Angela and Frank Gulielmetti, purchased it in 1919. The Gulielmettis continued to farm the property, operating a small dairy farm and supplementing their
income by constructing railroad ties and selling witch hazel to the Dickinson Witch Hazel Company. The house remains in the Gulielmetti family.