Maple Avenue, east side
Set on the east side of Maple Avenue in a residential neighborhood, the Mary F. Crawford House is one of a number of late nineteenth and early twentieth century domestic buildings that dominate the area.
- Record ID: 134
- Address: Maple Avenue, east side
- Current Owner: Crawford, Lawrence and Bertha
- Name of Building:
- Historic Name: Mary F. Crawford House
- Download PDF of Original Record
The facade features an enclosed entrance portico and 4 x 1 windows covered with modern windowhoods supported by aluminum brackets. The south elevation displays a small rectangular bay topped with an extension of the roof. A small shed roofed ell has been added to the rear. Outbuildings include a 1 story, 3 bay garage.
Historical or Architectural Importance
This 1 story, 3 bay, gable-to-street Bungalow style building was erected in 1932. The clapboarded balloon frame rests on a poured concrete/cobblestone mortar foundation and is topped with a gently pitched asphalt shingled roof. In 1932 Mary F. Crawford bought a small lot on the east side of "Back Lane" (Maple Avenue) from Harry C. Rich on which she erected this cottage. This lot was originally the rear portion of the Jeremiah Butler House lot. In 1953, Mrs. Crawford sold the property to her son, Lawrence and his wife, Bertha, the present owners. The Mary F. Crawford House is one of Durham's best examples of the Bungalow Cottage style popularized in the early twentieth-century.