This domestic vernacular style dwelling sits on the west side of Maple Avenue in a primarily residential neighborhood, just west of Durham’s Historic District.
- Record ID: 140
- Address: Maple Avenue
- Current Owner: Pecor, William and Laura
- Name of Building:
- Historic Name: Hubbard Workers' Housing #2
- Download PDF of Original Record
The facade features an open porch topped by a slightly pitched shed roof supported by tapered columns. The columns rest on concrete pedestals incorporated into a solid, asbestos-sided balustrade. A diminutive brick chimney is centrally located and an exposed concrete block chimney divides the facade. The north and south
elevations both exhibit one-story, shed-roofed, additions. A large 1 story ell has teen added to the rear.
Historical or Architectural Importance
Similar to other rental housing in the area, the Hubbard Workers’ Housing #2 is a 2 1/2 story, 2 bay, late-nineteenth-century domestic style building, erected ca. 1895.
The aluminum-sided balloon frame rests on a brownstone foundation and is capped by a gable-to-street asphalt-shingled roof.
Lumber merchant, Oliver D. Hubbard, erected this house and the dwelling to the south (see Hubbard Workers’ Housing #1) on the same lot ca. 1895. Presumably Hubbard,who
operated two local lumber / saw mills, erected these structures to house his employees.
In 1917, Hubbard sold the property to farmer William Chauncey Fowler, grandson of William C. Fowler, author of the “History of Durham”. In 1928 the large lot with dwellings was broken up and sold to individual owners.
This house is important for its association with wealthy business merchant, Oliver D. Hubbard, as well as an early model of rental housing in Durham.