This simple domestic vernacular hare sits on a long narrow lot on the west side of Maple Avenue. The surrounding neighborhood is composed of primarily nineteenth
and twentieth-century domestic structures.
- Record ID: 136
- Address: Maple Avenue
- Current Owner: Stevens, Wilson and Edith
- Name of Building:
- Historic Name: Hubbard Workers' Housing #1
- Download PDF of Original Record
The north elevation features a modern sun porch and a one-story addition topped-with a shed roof. Outbuildings on the lot include a one-car, gable-to-street garage and a small shed.
Historical or Architectural Importance
Built ca. 1895, this late-nineteenth-century domestic building utilizes a balloon framing system supported by a sandstone-rubble foundation. 1 1/2 stories in height with a gable-to-street asphalt shingled roof, the house is sided in imitation brick vinyl. The 3 bay facade faces south away from the street and features a central doorway topped with a modern aluminum hood. The 2 bay east elevation with gable-end facing the street features two-over-two sash as does the rest of the house. In 1893, Oliver D. Hubbard, a local lumber dealer, purchased a nine and a half acre lot from Juilet W. Camp, upon which he erected this house and the house to the north (see: Oliver D. Hubbard Workers Housing #2). Hubbard, a native of Madison, Ct., built a number of rental homes at the end of the nineteenth-century presumably to house employees of his mills. In 1917, William Fowler purchased the property and within a year sold it to Howard B. Field of Springfield, Massachusetts. Field, who also rented the property, was responsible for dividing the lot into smaller portions, as it stands today. The house is typical of rental housing found during the late 1800s.