Maiden Lane, south side, (1.5 m East of Main Street)
This house stands on a commodious two-acre lot near the intersection of Maiden Lane and Main Street.
- Record ID: 41
- Address: Maiden Lane, south side, (1.5 m East of Main Street)
- Current Owner: Knickerbocker, Charles W. and Helen S.
- Name of Building:
- Historic Name: William P. Camp House
- Download PDF of Original Record
The William P. Camp House is a 2 1/2 story, cross-gabled, nineteenth-century Domestic style residence. Sheathed in clapboards, it contains a Queen Anne touch, with fishscale
shingles in its gable peak. The facade presents a full-length front porch with turned posts, sawn brackets, and turned elements in its balustrades and spandrels. The house possesses a handsome 2 story, three-sided bay on its east gable end. The sofits are decorated with bargeboards with square-sawn mouldings .
Historical or Architectural Importance
Samuel G. Camp, owner of the James Curtiss House, sold this property to his son William P. Camp in January of 1898.The house was built later in that year. In 1922 Camp sold the house to Hattie M. Newton. Four years later she donated it to the Women’s Christian Temperance Union, reserving for herself the right to inhabit the premises until her death, which occurred in the 1950s. In 1955 the WCTU sold the house to its present owners. This house is an interesting example of the transition from the nineteenth-century
Domestic to the Queen Anne style in Durham. From an historical standpoint it is interesting as an example of the residential styles of Durhamls upper middle class at the
turn of the century–and as such expresses that group’s aspirations to identify themselves with nationally accepted standards of architectural taste.