New Haven Road
Facing west onto New Haven Road, the Frisbie-Coe House is sited in a rural residential neighborhood just north of the Horth Branford town line.
- Record ID: 156
- Address: New Haven Road
- Current Owner: Kelley, O.T.
- Name of Building:
- Historic Name: Frisbie-Coe House
- Download PDF of Original Record
The four-panelled facade door features a four-paned overlight. The original sash have been replaced with modern one-over-one windows. The gable end of the north elevation exhibits a six-over-six sash, possibly an originalwindow. A large, 2 1/2 story, board-and-batten addition has been added to the southern elevation. A number of other small additions extend from the rear.
Historical or Architectural Importance
Built in 1772, this 1 1/2 story, center-chimney, Cape-style, colonial-period house was moved to its present location by Abram Coe in the early nineteenth .century. Standing on a sandstone foundation, the clapboarded post-and-beam frame is capped by an asphalt-shingled, ridge-to-street gable roof.
In the fall of 1772 Jonah Frisbie erected this dwelling house and a weaver’s shop on a lot of land in the southwestern portion of Durham. Shortly after he constructed the building, Frisbie sold it to Timothy Stow who resided there until 1808. Stow married Rebeckah Meeker in 1769. In 1808 Abram Coe (1783-1859) purchased the property shortly after his marriage to Rebecca Elwell. Coe, who is listed as a farmer and cooper, raised three children: Merrick R., Hannah A., and Phebe Ann. In 1822 Abram purchased a parcel of land along the New Haven Turnpike in 1822 and presumably moved his home to this lot. Shortly before his death in 1859 Coe sold the house “for love and affection” to his daughter Hannah A. Peck (1809-1879), the wife of William Peck. Mrs. Peck quit-claimed the property to her daughter Janice in 1869. Janice (b. 1851) married Roswell R. Wellington, a farmer, in 1864 and the house remained in the family until 1899.