New Haven Road, east side
Facing west towards the heavily travelled New Haven Road, the Merrick R. Coe House is sited in a rural residential area composed of open fields and woodland.
- Record ID: 155
- Address: New Haven Road, east side
- Current Owner: Clark, Frederick and Donald
- Name of Building:
- Historic Name: Merrick R. Coe House
- Download PDF of Original Record
The two-over-three-bay facade displays a single-story, open porch and a modern enclosed entry ell. Lath-turned columns with scroll-sawn brackets support the porch’s shed roof. The gable end exhibits a ten-pane rectangular window. Six-over-six sash are featured throughout and the second floor of the north and south elevations features smaller six-over-six windows. A large barn and numerous outbuildings are found on the lot.
Historical or Architectural Importance
This 1 1/2 story, gable-to-street, nineteenth-century vernacular style dwelling was built in 1827. Anchori ng its clapboarded, post-and-beam frame is a foundation of sandstone. The asphalt-shingled roof features a diminutive brick chimney.
This house was built in 1828 for Merrick Rejoice Coe shortly after his marriage to Asenath Harrison of Northford. The son of Abraham and Rebecca Coe, Merrick (1804-
1888) earned his living as a shoemaker. In 1871 Asenath and Merrick sold the homestead to their grandson, Andrew Merrick Camp (1848-1916~, who owned the house until
1897. Today the property is operated as a dairy farm.
The Merrick R. Coe House is significant for its association with the Coe family and shoemaking, a popular cottage industry in early nineteenth-century Durham.