Haddam Quarter Road, north side (0.1 m East of Foothills Road)
This isolated dwelling is set back some 70 feet from Haddam Quarter Road in the midst of a cleared field on the Durham-Haddam border.
- Record ID: 23
- Address: Haddam Quarter Road, north side (0.1 m East of Foothills Road)
- Current Owner: Haake, Paul
- Name of Building: Paul Haake House
- Historic Name: H.D. Daniels House
- Download PDF of Original Record
The Haake House is a simple farmhouse in the late-nineteenth-century Domestic style, representative of the houses built in Durham between 1890 and 1920. Built with a balloon frame and sheathed with painted wooden shingles, it is devoid of ornament, save for modest cornice returns at its gable ends. It is a Two story rectangular building with a small 2 story dormer projecting from the rear of its east side. The first story facade and east side are obscured by a shed-roofed porch original to the house. The windows are two-aver-two throughout. The front door, original to the house, consists of two wooden panels below with a plate glass window in its top half.
Historical or Architectural Importance
In 1902 the 30 acres on which this house would shortly stand were sold by Arthur E. Priest to J. E. and H. O. Daniels. In 1904 they constructed this farmhouse and several barns and outbuildings (which were demolished in 1982). In 1919 they sold the property to Joseph Suchanek, an immigrant farmer, who held the property until 1958 when his widow sold it to its present owner. This structure is architecturally significant for its unaltered condition and the rural integrity of its site. Historically it is significant for its connection to the movement of immigrants into Durham's agricultural life in the early-twentieth century.