Guilford Road (Rte. 77), west side
Facing east onto Guilford Road, the: Charles Robinson,Jr. House is set in a rural residential neighborhood dominated by open fields.
- Record ID: 16
- Address: Guilford Road (Rte. 77), west side
- Current Owner: Bailey, Harold M. & Agnes H.
- Name of Building:
- Historic Name: Charles Robinson, Jr. House
- Download PDF of Original Record
The two-over-three-bay, side-hall plan facade displays little embellished architectural detailing. Six-over-nine sash are featured throughout and dormers on the southern slope exhibit three-over-three sash. A large wood-shingled barn topped with a hiproofed cupola is located to the south of the house.
Historical or Architectural Importance
Oriented gable-to-street, this It story, early nineteenth-century Domestic-style dwelling was erected in 1836. Sided in clapboards, the post-and-beam frame is supported by a stuccoed fieldstone foundation. This house was erected in 1836 for Charles Robinson,Jr. (1805-1885), the son of Charles and Concurrence Robinson. Employed as a stage driver, Charles,Jr. married Almira Chalker in 1828. In 1846 Henry E. Bailey purchased the property. Bailey, a carriage maker, also operated a spinning wheel and repair shop along Malt Brook. His first wife, martha (Brooks) died in 1880 and Henry remarried Julia A. Mix of Wallingford in 1882, who inherited the house upon Henryls death in 1883. Henry Minot Bailey (1859-1931) purchased his father's house in 1885 and farmed the surrounding land. Baileyls first wife Susan (Chapman, b. 1866) died in 1887 of "consumption" shortly after the birth of their daughter, Carrie May. His second wife, Belle Bogart of Indiana (b. 1861), also died of consumption, shortly after their marriage in 1892. In 1894 Bailey married Hattie Miner of Killingworth. Upon his death in 1931 the house was willed to his only son, Howard Stephen Bailey,and remains in the Bailey family.