Fowler Avenue, north side

Fad ng south onto Fowl er Avenue at the intersection of Cherry Lane,

the Asahel Strong House is sited on a well landscaped lot shaded by

large maples.

  • Record ID: 14
  • Address: Fowler Avenue, north side
  • Current Owner: Taylor, Richard & Mary
  • Name of Building:
  • Historic Name: Asahel Strong House
  • Download PDF of Original Record

Notable Features

The most prominent Federal period feature is the facade portico which exhibits

a cove ceiling supported by delicate Doric columns. Exhibiting slight cornice

returns and a small six-over-six sash the gable end is sheathed with wood

shingles which produce a slight overhang effect. Throughout the house twelveover-

twelve sash display fixed louvered shutters. The house has been enlarged

by a number of additions to the north and west elevations, indlucing a two-bay

garage.

Historical or Architectural Importance

One of Durham's finest examples of Federal style architecture, the 2! story, threebay

side-hall plan, gable-to-street dwelling was built in 1823. Resting on a coursed

sandstone foundation, the clapboarded post-and-beam frame is capped by an asphaltshingled

gable roof.

Farmer, Asahel Strong built this house in 1823 replacing an earlier structure which

stood on the property. Strong (1781-1863), whose ancestors came to Durham from

Northampton, Mass., married Sally Munson in 1803. Active in local affairs, Asahel

Strong served as a State Representative. In 1863 he quit-claimed the homestead to

his youngest son, George W. Strong (b 1828), who shortly thereafter sold it to Asa

Fowler of Guilford. Fowler (1812-1884) married to Laura Coe Camp (1812-1904),

continued farming the land. In 1872 ,Asals son, John A. Fowler, built a small

dwelling in the southwest portion of his father's homestead. The Fowler family

retained ownership until 1885.

The Asahel Strong House is architecturally significant as one of Durhamls most

exquisite examples of Federal style architecture