Creamery Road, north side
Located in the southern portion of Durham on the north side of Creamery Road, the Henry E. Nettleton House is sited in a large open field bordered on the East by the Coginchaug River . This rural neighborhood, once actively farmed, is now experi enci ng some residential development.
- Record ID: 11
- Address: Creamery Road, north side
- Current Owner: Slight, Leo H. & Irene P.
- Name of Building:
- Historic Name: Henry E. Nettleton House
- Download PDF of Original Record
This building displays little in the way of embellished architectural detailing. The
central facade doorway exhibits thin side pilasters supporting a crown-moulded cornice
with imitation keystone. Eight-over-eight and six-over-six sash are featured throughout
and a single-story ell with an open porch has been added to the western elevation.
A number of farm buildings are located on the property.
Historical or Architectural Importance
This 2t story, mid-nineteenth-century Domestic-style dwelling was built about 1860
by Henry S. Nettleton. The five-bay facade features a combination gable-to-street and
ridge-to-street asphalt-shingled roof. The aluminum-sided balloon frame rests on a cut
stone foundation. Henry E. Nettleton built this house about 1861, replacing the homestead of his father Eliphaz Net t 1 e t on. Henry (b. 1807) was educated in the Durham school system and at age 21 was hired out to a Durham farmer, Richard Robinson. In 1829 Henry went to work as a foreman for Captain Allen at the quarries in Dover, Dutchess County, New York . Upon his fatherls death in 1831, Henry returned to Durham to farm his fatherls homestead. In 1839 he married Cornelia M. Camp (1806-1856) and moved to the Crane Farm on Mica Hill while his mother Lydia remained on the farm. Nettleton was a successful cattle farmer who also operated a business of burning charcoal. He was a member of the Democratic Party
and a town selectman for many years. Upon his motherls death in 1860, Henry tore down his fatherls farmhouse and built the present structure, which he used for rental purposes. In 1869 he sold the house to his daughter and son-in-law, Charles and Rose Stone. The farm remained in the Stone family until 1872.