Cherry Lane, south side
The Samuel C. Nettleton House is set on a slightly elevated site facing
north onto Cherry Lane. The surrounding area is dominated by sweeping
open fields and large maples,trim the front edge of the property which
borders the road.
- Record ID: 10
- Address: Cherry Lane, south side
- Current Owner: Waller, Harvey W. & Diane D.
- Name of Building:
- Historic Name: Samuel C. Nettleton House
- Download PDF of Original Record
A large 21 story, three-bay, ridge-to-street, gable-roofed ell extends from the
eastern elevation. The single-story open porch extending the full length of
the facade and ell displays simple Doric columns supporting a shed-roof. It
is most probable that the first floor of the main block originally exhibited
a three-bay side hall plan symmetrical with the three second-story windows.
The facade gable-end features slight cornice returns and a three-paned,
rectangular window. The present facade entrance is located centrally on
the eastern ell. A number of large additions have been added to the southern
elevation. A number of outbuildings are located on the grounds, the most
prominent being a large, three-story, gambrel-roof barn.
Historical or Architectural Importance
Oriented gable-to-street, this 2t-story, Greek Revival-style structure was
erected in 1857. Anchoring its wood-shingled, post-and-beam frame is a
foundation of sandstone. The gable-roof is asphalt-shingled.
Samuel C. Nettleton built this house in 1857 replacing an earlier structure
on the premises known as the Amos Smith Homestead. Little is known about
Nettleton, except he originally came from Killingworth. In 1865 the house
was sold to Anthony Killinger who resided there until 1868. The next owner
was farmer, Joseph Tyron (1831-1910). A native of Middletown, Tyron and his
wife, Margret (Atwood) (1837-1896) continued to farm the property until the
turn of the century.
Architecturally, this house derives its significance as a well-preserved
example of Greek Revival-style farmhouse.