Brick Lane, west side
Facing east onto Brick Lane, the John White House is set on a well-shaded. level lot trimmed by a post-and-rail fence. Overgrown fields surround the house which lies just to the east of Durham’s commercial center.
- Record ID: 3
- Address: Brick Lane, west side
- Current Owner: Leeing, Jr. , Aidene & Margaret M.
- Name of Building:
- Historic Name: John White House
- Download PDF of Original Record
The three bay facade exhibits a six-panel central doorway surmounted by a four-pane overlight. Annexed to the south elevation is a hip-roofed bay window. The 1.5 story, gabled roofed ell added to the western elevation features a full length open porch topped with a shed roof support by square posts. Characteristic of a Colonial period "cape style" dwelling, the gable ends display a large second story window surrounded by three small gable lights. A diminutive brick chimney is centrally located and two-over-two sash are displayed throughout most of the house. A small antique store is near the roadside south of the house.
Historical or Architectural Importance
This late example of a 1.5 story Colonial period cape was erected by John White ca. 1815. Capped by a ridge-to-street, asphalt-shingled gable roof, the wood-shingled post-and-beam frame rests on a sandstone foundation In 1815, John White (1786-1847) erected this house on a parcel of land near the home of Abijah Curtis (see the John Curtis House). White, a shoemaker and member of the First Congregational Church, served as the clerk of the Ecclesiastical Society for many years. Seymour White, John's son, purchased the house in 1822 and resided there until 1826. The property passed through a number of hands until Lemuel Camp bought it in 1831 and used it as a rental property. Camp (1776-1848), a tavern keeper, was active in local politics. He was one the two local delegates sent to the convention which adopted the state constitution in 1818 and served as a Justice of the Peace from 1827 to 1834. Lemuel's daughter, Sophronia Camp, inherited the property in 1848 and continued to rent it out. Engelbert Voglefanger, a shoemaker from Prussia, bought the house in 1870 and reside there with his wife, Mary (Malchoir) until 1890. The John White House is architecturally significant as one of the few remaining examples of the "Cape style" houses in Durham and historically significant for its association with the shoemaking industry.