50 Main Street (east side)
The Hale House is located on a small, fenced lot just south of the Durham Grange. The house is centrally located across from the Green and has a direct view of the Town Hall.
- Record ID: 108
- Address: 50 Main Street (east side)
- Current Owner: Wenzel, David T. and Janice A.
- Name of Building:
- Historic Name: Zebulon Hale House
- Download PDF of Original Record
When constructed, the Hale House undoubtedly exhibited several Greek Revival features, including corner pilasters and possibly a pediment. Presently aluminum-sided, the only original decorative features still visible are the vestiges of the cornice returns or pediment on the facade. The entrance, rather than being located on the facade, is located in a single story full-length south-side addition with a shed roof.
Historical or Architectural Importance
Constructed in 1840, the Zebulon Hale House is a 2 1/2 story, two bay Greek Revival style building. It rests on a sandstone foundation and is topped by a slate gable-to-street
roof and central chimney. All full-sized windows are six-over-six sash flanked by louvred shutters.
Zebulon Hale (1796-1879) built his house on a large piece of land acquired from Samuel Maynard in 1839; within a year he sold the house and a small piece of land to Henry M. Coe. Hale was born in Madison, CT, but spent most of his life in Durham as a farmer.