38 Main Street (east side)
The Ward House is on a narrow, deep, open lot. It is located on the east side of Main Street, just south of the Town Green.
- Record ID: 112
- Address: 38 Main Street (east side)
- Current Owner: Thompson, Ward H. and Lillian
- Name of Building:
- Historic Name: Arnold Ward House
- Download PDF of Original Record
The 3-bay facade features a full-length west-end and a 3/4 length south-side wrap-around porch; the hip roof is supported by five slender turned posts with sawn brackets. The porch was a later addition since it hides a decorated facade south entrance. This doorway is flanked by 2 plain pilasters with moulded capitals and topped by a wide entablature. A delicate flat elliptical leaded glass fanlight with a thin moulded frame and central decorative keystone is located in the facade gable. Additions include a 2 story southeast addition, a 2 story northeast extension, and a 1 story addition on the east with an east-side porch.
Historical or Architectural Importance
Built in 1822, the Albert Ward House is 2 1/2 story, side-hall-plan, Federal/Greek Revival-style house. The building rests ona sandstone block foundation and is topped by an asphalt-shingled gable roof. There is a narrow central exterior chimney on the north side.
Little historical information is available about Albert Ward. In 1827 he purchased a 1 1/2 acre lot from David Smith upon which he built his dwelling house and a blacksmith shop. In September of the following year he sold the house and land “except the blacksmith shop,” located in the northwest corner of the lot (DlR 16:338), to Silvester Ward. On October 7, 1831, Albert was married to Harriet Beardsley of Meriden, CT.