370 Wallingford Road
The William Asman House is located in the Reed’s Gap section of Durham on the south side of the well travelled Wallingford Road. Situated in a residential neighborhood, moderate industrial growth is occurring to the north and west of the area.
- Record ID: 185
- Address: 370 Wallingford Road
- Current Owner: McLaughlin,
- Name of Building:
- Historic Name: William Asman House
- Download PDF of Original Record
Similar to other post-Civil War domestic structures in the area, the William Asman House exhibits characteristics of the Greek Revival style, including heavy cornice returns and broad overhanging eaves in the gable ends. Another popular feature in late-nineteenth-century domestic architecture is the rounded arched window displayed in the gable end. The facade entryway is enhanced by a simple flush door surround. The 1 1/2 story rear ell is a modern addition. A garage and small outbuilding are located to the west and south of the main house.
Historical or Architectural Importance
Resting on a sandstone rubble foundation, this 2 1/2 story, 3 bay, late-nineteenth-century domestic style building was built for William Asman in 1884. Capped with an asphalt-shingled, cross gable roof, the balloon frame is sided in clapboards.
In 1861 a German immigrant, John Asman (1837-1909), purchased a six-acre farm from Alanson Nettleton (see: Bartholomew-Mattoon House). It was on the western two acres of this lot that John Asman built this house for his son William W. Asman (1862-1942). William, married to Marion C. Atwell in 1884, was a farmer like his father and for many years operated a poultry farm. In 1906 William purchased the house from his father and in 1913 received the old farmhouse next door. In 1944 both homes were sold out of the Asman family.
A well-preserved example of vernacular architecture being constructed after the Civil War in Durham, the William Asman House is noteworthy for its long association with
the Asman family.