266 New Haven Road, west side
The neighborhood in which the Enoch Camp House now stands is primarily rural-residential, dominated by open fields. Some modern residential development is occurring to the southwest of the property.
- Record ID: 151
- Address: 266 New Haven Road, west side
- Current Owner: Schmitt, Jr., Donald F. and Julie
- Name of Building:
- Historic Name: Enoch F. Camp House
- Download PDF of Original Record
Considerably altering its original appearance are the many additions annexed to the north, west and south elevations. The most imposing addition is the 2 1/2 story ell
added to the south elevation which doubles the size of the house. Additions to the north elevation include a single story ell and a shed-roofed enclosed porch. A modern sun porch was recently constructed on the south west corner of the house. The original block features eight-over-eight sash on the facade and an original eight-over-twelve sash in the gable end. The facade exhibits a modern aluminum door trimmed with a simple frame. Several outbuildings are located on the property including a large barn with slate roof.
Historical or Architectural Importance
Constructed about 1850, this 1 1/2 story, mid-nineteenth-century farmhouse sits on the west side of New Haven Road in the southwestern portion of Durham. Featuring a three bay facade, the building is supported by a post-and-beam framing system resting on a sandstone foundation. Presently sided with wood shingles, the house is capped by an asphalt-shingled, ridge-to-street gable roof.
Enoch F. Camp (1824-1876) erected this dwelling about 1850 on the site of the Noah Parmelee homestead. The son of Fairchild and Melicent (Coe) Camp, Enoch was a farmer.
His first wife, Mary A. Coe (1830-1849),died shortly after the birth of their first child, Andrew. Enoch remarried Sarah A. Munson (1829-1908) of Wallingford in 1850.
Sarah received the property upon her husband’s death and the house remained in the Camp family until 1907.