20 Main Street (east side)
The Asman house is located just north of the Durham volunteer fire department and is situated on the east side of Main Street in the center of town.
- Record ID: 121
- Address: 20 Main Street (east side)
- Current Owner: Sweet, Lloyd L. and Stella P.
- Name of Building:
- Historic Name: Maly Asman House
- Download PDF of Original Record
The large cubical house with its plain and predictable features is striking. The regularity of the 2-bay wide and deep structure is interrupted on the west facade
by a south door covered by a simple gable-roofed doorhood supported by large, plain stick brackets. Windows are one-aver-one sash. In addition, there is a three-window
dormer in the west gable. Built on the rear of the house is a 2 story shed-roofed addition and a porch that together run half the length of the east side.
Historical or Architectural Importance
This aluminum-sided, 2 1/2 story, side-hall-plan twentieth – century Domestic, “four-square” house was built by Mary Asman ca. 1928. The house has an asphalt-shingled gable
roof and a poured concrete foundation.
Mary Asman purchased a small building lot from Gilbert F. Nettleton in 1910. Forty-two years later, when the land was sold, there is recorded to be a dwelling house, garage and other buildings on the land. It appears from the Tax Assessor’s cards that the house was built ca. 1928 and possibly was a mail-order house.