135 Main Street
The house is. on a small, wooded lot on the west side of Main Street. The two outbuildings are a single-story shed with German siding and a two-car garage to the rear of the house.
- Record ID: 54
- Address: 135 Main Street
- Current Owner: Korn, Myra D.
- Name of Building:
- Historic Name: William S. Scranton House
- Download PDF of Original Record
The most distinctive feature of this house is its wide, hip-roofed, wrap-around verandah which runs the length of the facade, and returns to the south ell. Characterized by a projecting curve at the southeast corner it has an irregular top balustrade with turned balusters, sawn scroll brackets, and turned posts. The full-size, louvre-shuttered windows of the house contain 2×2 sash.
Historical or Architectural Importance
The 2 story, 2 bay, cross-gable William Scranton House was built in 1870. Its post-and beam frame has an entry in the south side ell, is aluminum sided, and rests on a mortared sandstone foundation. The roof is asphalt-shingled. In 1870, Simeon S, Scranton, a prosperous Durham farmer, received from Charles L. Scranton the large lot (with the Colonial period dwelling house upon it) at the southwest corner of Main Street and Talcott Lane. Within the year, as the 1870 plot map of Durham testifies, Simeon had built a smaller house to the south. The house was occupied by William S. Scranton, Simeon’s son, until Simeon built built William a new house on the northwest corner of Main Street and Talcott Lane. In 1902, the building passed out of Scranton hands. Twenty years later, it became the property of Francis E. Korn. Distinguished for its fine original porch, this house adds to the architectural variety of Main Street.