12/7 at 10: 30 AM
Buy local. We’ll wrap your gifts! In support of our local businesses, Durham Public Library will offer free gift wrapping on Small Business Saturday. Just bring in proof of purchase from a Durham merchant and we’ll wrap your gift.
Saturday November 24, 2018
10am – 3pm
All supplies provided by PALS.
Can’t get to the Library? Click here to browse our free, downloadable magazines.
We had 495 votes in Durham for the Great American Read. Durham’s favorite book? The Harry Potter series!
Full Durham Results (For national results, click here.)
- Harry Potter (Series)
- Charlotte’s Web
- The Hunger Games
- Pride and Prejudice
- The Little Prince
- Chronicles of Narnia
- Gone with the Wind
- The Help
- To Kill a Mockingbird
- Outlander (Series)
- Hatchet (series)
- One Hundred Years of Solitude
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide to The Galaxy
- Anne of Green Gables
- Little Women
- The Da Vinci Code
- A Prayer for Owen Meany
- Book Thief
- Lord of the Rings
- Pillars of the Earth
- The Handmaid’s Tale
- Atlas Shrugged
- Grapes of Wrath
- Alice in Wonderland
- Great Gatsby
- Jurassic Park
- The Giver
- The Hunt for Red October
- The Lovely Bones
- The Notebook
- Call of the Wild
- Catch 22
- Ready Player One
- The Shack
- Where the Red Fern Grows
- A Confederacy of Dunces
- And Then There Were None
- Catcher in the Rye
- Gone Girl
- Jane Eyre
- Moby Dick
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime
- The Martian
- The Sirens of Titan
- The Wheel of Time (series)
- Their Eyes Were Watching God
- Things Fall Apart
- Alex Cross Mysteries (series)
- Don Quixote
- Foundation (series)
- Game of Thrones (series)
- Memoirs of a Geisha
- Swan Song
- Tales of the City (series)
- The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
- The Count of Monte Cristo
- The Joy Luck Club
- The Picture of Dorian Gray
- The Pilgrim’s Progress
- The Twilight Saga (series)
- War and Peace
- A Separate Peace
- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
- Color Purple
- Crime and Punishment
- Fifty Shades of Grey
- Flowers in the Attic
- Great Expectations
- Heart of Darkness
- Invisible Man
- Looking for Alaska
- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
- The Alchemist
- The Clan of the Cave Bear
- The Coldest Winter Ever
- The Godfather
- The Intuitionist
- The Sun Also Rises
- Wuthering Heights
- Another Country
- Bless Me, Ultima
- Doña Bárbára
- Gulliver’s Travels
- Left Behind (series)
- Lonesome Dove
- Mind Invaders
- This Present Darkness
- White Teeth
Durham Public Library and the Town of Durham have teamed up to offer a convenient and time-saving opportunity to apply for or renew a passport at the Library. Information and forms are available at the Library, Town Hall, or on the U.S. State Department website so that you can come prepared to have Durham’s Passport Agents help you complete your application or renewal. Once this process is complete, you can expect to receive your new passport in about 4 to 6 weeks. Drop-in.
Connecticut Passport Agency Acceptance Event
Presented by Town of Durham CT Passport Agents & Durham Public Library
Saturday, July 21, 2018
9:00 – 1:00 p.m.
For more information on this event, please call 860-349-3625
For up to date information on passport requirements, passport renewals, current fees or to download an application please visit https://travel.state.gov
Check List of Items to Bring:
Fill out Form DS-11 Before You Arrive
· Do not sign the application
· Provide a Social Security Number (SSN).
Provide One Proof of US Citizenship Photocopies/notarized copies are not acceptable.
· Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
· U.S. birth certificate meeting State Department requirements
· Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
· Certificate of Naturalization
· Certificate of Citizenship
Present Acceptable Identification (Photo ID)
· In-state, fully-valid driver’s license
· Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
· Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
· Government employee ID (city, county, state or federal)
· U.S. military ID or military dependent ID
Bring a Photocopy of Identification and US Citizenship Evidence
· Photocopy the front and back of each ID that you present.
Provide a Recent Photo
· Be sure your photo meets all photo requirements
· Have your photo taken on site! Photo services available for $10
Bring Two Checks or Money Orders – No cash or debit cards
· One is payable to the Town of Durham for the $35 Execution Fee – add $10 for photo if applicable
· One is payable to the U.S. Department of State
Applicants Under Age 16
· Both parents must be present to sign application and provide child’s Birth Certificate meeting State Department requirements
· Or one parent appears and signs, and also submits a notarized statement of consent along with a valid ID from other parent
Renewals may be done by mail using Form DS-82 if your recent passport:
· Is submitted with your application
· Is undamaged (other than normal “wear and tear”)
· Was issued when you were age 16 or older
· Was issued within the last 15 years
· Was issued in your current name (Or document your name change with original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order) If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you must apply in person using Form DS-11
- All museum passes have been donated as gifts to the community by P.A.L.S.
- Passes may be borrowed by an adult with a valid library card.
- Some passes permit free admission, while others offer discounted admission.
- Patrons may borrow one pass per family at a time.
- Passes are available for check out on a first-come, first-served basis and are checked out for a two-day period.
- Passes may not be reserved, but may be held for one hour by calling the library.
- The overdue charge is $5.00 per day. If a pass is lost, the borrower will be liable for replacing it at full cost.
- Prices and hours are set by museums and are subject to change. Some museums close for special events. Consulting the museum website or calling museum to confirm hours is recommended.
- Passes must be returned inside the library.
MUSEUM PASSES AS OF JANUARY 2018
American Clock and Watch Museum
Free admission for 2 adults and 3 children.
The Children’s Museum & Roaring Brook Nature Center
West Hartford, CT
One free admission with each paid admission. Maximum 4 free admissions per day.
Planetarium shows have an additional fee.
Connecticut State Parks
Valid for 2 adults and 4 children at Dinosaur, Fort Trumbull & Gillette Castle State Parks.
Effective 1/1/18, admission to all other State Parks is free for Conn. residents.
Connecticut Trolley Museum
East Windsor, CT
Free admission for 2 adults and 2 children, including unlimited trolley rides. Does not cover admission to seminars, tours, etc.
Florence Griswold Museum
Old Lyme, CT
Discounted admission for adults, seniors, and students; children under 12 years free.
$2 off Combination Ticket (Aquarium & Daytime IMAX) good for up to 6 people. Cannot be combined with other offers.
$5.00 off admission for up to 4 people. Good on general admission only.
50% off regular admission for 2 adults and 3 children ages 18 years and under
New Britain Museum of American Art
New Britain, CT
Free admission for any 4 people, one adult must accompany children under 16 years.
New Haven Museum
New Haven, CT
Free admission for up to four people.
Old State House
Free admission for 2 adults and 2 children .
Peabody Museum (Yale)
New Haven, CT
$6 off up to 4 admissions, one adult must accompany children under 16 years.
Free admission for 2 adults and 2 children 17 years and under.
|Kids Tag Sale
Saturday 7/14 at 10 AM. Rain Date 7/21
Set up 9AM-10AM
A sale where only kids can sell, but anyone can buy! Ages 5-18 (12 & under with a parent).
Registration opens June 18th. To register stop by the front desk, call the Library to register at 860-349-9544, or Go HERE to sign up online.
Please bring the following if you plan to sell:
An acoustic concert for the whole family! Registration encouraged, but not required. Register online below. Registration opens 6/18.
Tuesday, June 26th at 6:30 PM